Sunday 7 August 2011

it's good to be home


Where is home? I was born and raised in a beautiful city bordered by water to the west, mountains to the north and dotted with green belts, bikeways and trees throughout. Vancouver is home and I can't think of anywhere else on earth I'd rather live.

I went on a trip recently with my wife to her country of birth. The Dominican Republic. Her home was in Boca de Nigua until she was about 11. She hadn't been back in 18 years. The last time she was there, she didn't have the opportunity to connect with neighbours, friends, or classmates from her childhood. She made it a point this time to meet with as many people as possible from her first home.

We traveled to the DR in July - it was probably the hottest time of the year to go visit. Hot. Humid. We were hosted by friends in Santo Domingo. Our excursion into the little town of Boca de Nigua took about 40 minutes. Though I couldn't understand what she was saying, I could hear the delight, eagerness and happiness in Joan's voice as we got near her childhood home. I couldn't understand her because she was rambling off in Spanish to her friend from Nigua-days, Carmen, who was also on this excursion with us. Joan was on the edge of her seat- the backseat- straining to get a better look through the front windshield at the approaching town and homes, that weren't so familiar anymore. The day brought good memories for Joan but there was some disappointment as she could only see two families from her past. 

On the last weekend before we left the DR, another trek into Boca de Nigua was planned. I grudgingly went on the second trip. I was not a happy camper. We would be travelling those 40 minutes again in Nicio's car that had A/C comparable to a battery-operated fan pushing air behind an ice cube.

We first met with Rafaelito. Friendly, warm, inviting, and gregarious. He made you feel welcome. No wonder he is a leader in the community. He knows so many people. My displeasure in going on this long drive and potential wild-goose chase soon dissipated as I witnessed the overwhelming joy and disbelief on the faces of these friends when they realized it was Joan walking towards them. There were long and tight embraces, tears, photo ops/ video ops, distribution of family photos from Joan, prayer and then the good-byes.

In the 2 to 3 hours that it took to shuttle from one to house to another house and another house and another..., we were able to see 5 beautiful, joyful and precious people and their families. Never in their dreams did they ever expect to see Joan again when she left the island 27 years ago.  I'm glad I went along and got to experience what it looks like from the outside, the joy of a homecoming.

Homecomings can be special.  I wonder if I'll get to experience homecoming.   I believe that I will someday.    It 'll  be that Place that many of us have heard about -  a Place where you will know the answers to a lifetime of questions, a Place of familiar voices and faces, a Place of comfort, refuge, peace, love and unimaginable  joy.

At the end of the day...it's going to be good to be HOME.




4 comments:

  1. Barry, this beautiful reflection on HOME brought tears to my eyes...truly, we never go back, and the destruction of our house at Nigua only points that up in such a poignant way.Yet the all the joy and delight of these visits to Boca de Nigua that comes across so well in your words and in Joan's video reminds us that all that is built into our lives in our "homes" cannot be taken from us, but is built into our lives forever. It will go with us into our true home, the place we long for, to be "where we belong", that HOME that we look forward to...in God our eternal dwelling place. As I begin this Sabbath day your words have warmed my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barry, I somehow missed reading this post until now. A further expansion of our conversation around the picnic last night. Yes, what a beautiful reflection on what HOME can mean to those who choose to simply step into God's embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Natasha..... wow! just realized how long since I last posted! This one goes back awhile :-)

    ReplyDelete